Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 2 - Home

I can't believe how easily I jumped back into my routine. Waking up with the girls, and starting breakfast, and dress-up routines, it felt like I never left... I took the girls swimming, and we were back at it, the 3 Musketeers. Then I realized, on my way to VBS at the church, that I should be WALKING... not driving to church, and sweating ridiculously, not lapping it up in the luxury of air conditioning!

I started thinking about Ilsa, the little girl with asthma, and how I have a breathing treatment machine in my closet for Willa, her mom had to walk from miles away to get her treatment, and it wasn't even helping. I started thinking about Ludwin, and if he was still drawing his beautiful dragons, and reading the English books we gave him. I also told Jason about how much I wanted to adopt him. Bring him to the states, where he could study art and photography.

And, as my kids start whining about what they want for breakfast or that they won't brush their teeth, I'm smacked back to reality. We have so much, the San Jose kids have so little, and they complain about nothing. I even fell into it. I have so much, am blessed with so much, and find things to whine about. My house is too small, but I have a refrigerator, air conditioning and more than I could need!

Alisa and I got to visit two homes on our last day in the village, and both families welcomed us in with open arms. They offered us chairs, and coffee. Luis was telling us how he built his home from the bottom up, and he was proud, as he should be. We thanked them for inviting us in, and he thanked us for visiting him in his home. Even as we sat there with chickens walking in after us, and seeing the pig walk through their kitchen, you can feel the love and the warmth (no pun intended) in their home, with their children's (6 or 7 kids) diploma's hanging on the wall.

We also got to visit Ludwin's home, he lives with his parents and his 6 siblings, and his niece and nephew. Yes, 11 people in a 1 room home made of mud, on the side of a mountain. Literally, there is a cliff out their back door. And again, no complaints! Ludwin's mother was telling us how he was named after Ludwig von Beethoven, which explains Ludwin's love of music and knowledge. Smart kids!

Such small things as a headlamp and t-shirts, used soccer shoes and books made a huge difference in the lives of the people of San Jose. They treasure these things as we never do. So, thank you to all of you reading this who donated anything... every little bit helps.

This experience will stay with me forever. And if you see me and I'm complaining about something silly, just give me a little reminder of my time in San Jose. It's so easy to fall back into that kind of a routine, and I hope it makes me more appreciative of what I have.

I said "I" in this post a lot, and I'm sorry for that... I need to remember the "Me third" portion of our team pact, especially now that I'm home. Team Members, I love you and will treasure our time in the little village of San Jose, del Negrito, Honduras.

And, if we ever get that chihuahua, I'm still naming it Don Fidel!!!
Love,
Kelly

2 comments:

Lou Ann said...

We never heard how the little one with asthma made out. Will someone please update us?

Kelly H said...

We don't know either. :( Unfortunately, it may take a long time for us to find out.