Sunday, July 10, 2011

Back in the comfort zone

From Mike:
It's been almost a week since I got home. Nothing's changed. The bills need paid; the grass needs cut; all the things need doing that make life normal. But I'm changed. It is true that we do take a lot of needed things to the people of San Jose. And we do a lot of things to try to help them and to improve there lives. But it's equally true that they give us many things that we need and they help us to improve our spiritual life. I return with such pleasant memories of the interaction that we had with them. Particularly with the children. And I have great admiration for their simple piety and religious convictions. It make me realize how lacking I am in these same areas. But going there always renews me.

I wonder, and hope, that the hygiene and clean water demonstations we did have an impact on the cleanliness and the health of the village. I know they appreciate and use the Bibles we gave them. That they have made clear to us. I remember what work and fun it was building the labyrinth and how much the children helped us then ran through it time and time again. And I will always remember the concert we did.

Most of all though, I think of the children. They are so different from our children. They have so little, but take so much enjoyment out of what they have. As one boy said, "We don't have food and we don't have water, but we have paper airplanes."

Anyway, I'm back in my comfort zone, but not all the way back. The San Jose memories take a long time to fade.

2 comments:

Kelly H said...

well said Mike. I was telling my mom about how the kids just jump in and help, we don't speak the same language, but they knew what to do! so awesome!

Lou Ann said...

Keep the posts coming Team. I still love hearing anything about your trip ! Thanksd again!